Google
 

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

MLB Honors Froemming

Via mlb.com:

Last night, Bruce Froemming was honored for setting the record for the most consecutive years of service by an active umpire in baseball history.

"I congratulate Bruce on this terrific achievement," said Baseball Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig. "Bruce has not only worked longer than any active umpire in the history of baseball, but has worked with great skill and with great passion. He has had a remarkable career that is appreciated by all of us in baseball."

Bill Klem is the only umpire with more games worked than Froemming. The Hall of Famer was on the field for 5,374 games in his career.

My favorite Bruce Froemming story comes via this interview by Bruce Amspacher with pitcher Milt Pappas, who in 1972 had a perfect game with two outs in the 9th with Froemming behind the plate:

BA: On September 2, 1964 you nearly pitched a no-hitter, taking it into the eighth inning against Minnesota. Eight years later to the day, September 2, 1972 you pitched one of the greatest games in history. What happened in the ninth inning?

Pappas: I was pitching for the Cubs at Wrigley Field against the San Diego Padres. I retired the first 26 batters in the game and I needed one more for a perfect game. There had only been seven perfect games [in the 20th century] up to that time.

Larry Stahl was sent up to pinch-hit and I got two strikes on him immediately. Randy Hundley [the Cubs' catcher] called for a slider. Ball one. Slider. Ball two. Slider. Ball three. Slider. Ball four. Stahl walks and the perfect game is gone.

BA: Were any of the last four pitches strikes?

Pappas: Any one of the four could've been called a strike and the last two were definitely strikes. [Umpire Bruce] Froemming came out to the mound after Stahl walked and I called him every name that I knew in the English language. When I ran out of names in English I started calling him names in Greek.

BA: Weren't you afraid of getting kicked out of the game?

Pappas: There's no way in hell that he was going to kick me out of the game. Not that game. Not if he wanted to get out of Wrigley Field alive. Everybody was too mad at him. The players, the fans -- everyone. So I went back to pitching and got the final out on a pop-up to second base to preserve the no-hitter.

BA: Then what happened?

Pappas: Believe it or not, the next day Froemming comes over to me and asks me to autograph a baseball for him. So I autographed it for him and then made a suggestion as where he might want to put it. He was incredulous. "You're not still angry at me, are you?" he asked.

"You have no idea what you did," I told him. "You blew it! You had a chance to call one of the few perfect games in the history of baseball and you blew it."

"Show me an umpire who ever called a game without making a mistake," he answered.

I couldn't believe he said that! He missed the point.

Then I ran into Larry Stahl. Stahl said that he wanted me to get the perfect game so after he got two strikes on him he decided not to swing anymore. "Why didn't you say something?! Why didn't you back out of the box and give me a wink or something?!" I asked him. I would've been happy to give him a fastball down the middle if I knew that he wasn't going to swing at it.


BruceFroemming.com says this was Froemming's first year and he needed to assert himself as "the boss" and there was no way he was going to let pitches that were clearly strikes get in the way of Froemming's "claim to fame".

In 2001, he was suspended for 10 games for calling an Umpiring Administrator a "stupid Jew B-t-h". I have a feeling he'd get a little more than 10 days if he said that today.

Froemming who was once asked about his eyesight said, "The sun is 93 million miles away, and I can see that." Uh... yeah, so can I Bruce, any my eyesight sucks.

Anyway... from all of us here at AO. We say, "Heckuva career Bruce... at least you didn't toss anyone for laughing at you."

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good riddance. Unfortunately the Spurs aren't out of the hole with Crawford gone. They've still got to deal with Dick "I hate Dallas and San Antonio" Baveta. Maybe Horry can arrange a friendly race with DB to smooth things over.

Unknown said...

bruce froemming is the worst umpire in the history of baseball. get the hell out.

Anonymous said...

If Bruce was the worst umpire ever
How did he manage to stay in the game for 37 years ???

Doesn't make any sense

Ordinary Average Guy said...

"If Bruce was the worst umpire ever
How did he manage to stay in the game for 37 years ???"

Me sentiments exactly. One of the best of all time, with Dutch Rennert, Doug Harvey and Tim McClelland.

Unknown said...

Hot sale Cheap cell phonesand cell phone china on our site! Fashion look and powerful functions for these mobile phones even discount cell phones! Wholesale HiPhone, 3G cell phones, PDA/Smart Phone now.China Cell PhonesDon't miss these cellphone!Discount Handbags On Sale-Beautycasa Online : Official online destination for all things Louis Vuitton Handbags and purses including Luxury Handbags trends, designer reviews, handbag deals, and more.

Anonymous said...

red tag travel http://qipp.eu/tours/tours-petronas-images disability travel [url=http://foxusa.eu/lufthansa/jazeera-airways-flight-timetable]jazeera airways flight timetable[/url]
kansas travel weather http://foxusa.eu/airline/thomsens-airline travel miles kansas city to woodruff wi [url=http://foxusa.eu/cruises/monarch-cruises-and-tours]olden day rail travel[/url]
castro travel at 900 lafayette street http://foxusa.eu/motel/golf-course-motel-taupo travel put in bay ohio [url=http://qipp.eu/adventure/alabam-adventure-camp]alabam adventure camp[/url]
fun finder travel trailers http://qipp.eu/tourist/free-tourist-map-of-venice uk bus travel [url=http://foxusa.eu/tours/haggey-tours]travel 50 and beyond magazine[/url]
platinum key travel http://qipp.eu/cruises/new-2009-cruises-mediterranean philippine tour operators and travel agency [url=http://foxusa.eu/tourism/tourism-economics]tourism economics[/url]
selinsgrove students travel to europe http://qipp.eu/inn/holiday-inn-in-muncy-indiana caribbean vacations travel agent commission [url=http://qipp.eu/maps/scable-maps]phuket travel timeshare[/url]

Anonymous said...

I like your blog theme can you tell me the name of it or where you downloaded it? cheers.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the most interesting paper that I have read all year!


http://falleninsurance.info

Anonymous said...

I remember Bruce Froemming from the seventies because he was the worst most arrogant umpire in the game at the time.

touti said...

notre site Web sacs répliques hautes Obtenez plus d'informations Prada Dolabuy rapport complet sacs de répliques